Sunday, February 5, 2012

Redefining Beauty


The first word that comes to my mind when I hear the word, "Beautiful" is blonde. Skinny is second. Big bust is third. I'm sure males would order my list a little differently. However my point is that most everyone would list about the same thing. Beauty is not something left open to interpretation. Our society has defined what beauty is. We like to place blame on advertisers, the fashion industry and popular music for this boxed in definition on what is beautiful. We are so ready to point the finger and accuse others when we should be looking inward on ourselves. Who buys those albums? Who buys those magazines, etc.
The idea of "beauty" moreover what that definition should encompass has been something I have been particularly intrigued by for as long as I can remember. As an artist I have began exploring this idea. I did so with my model Katelyn who strangely enough is traditionally beautiful. I liked contrasting her beauty with this deconstructed, broken down and almost eerie beauty. It is still my most favorite piece up to date. I love everything about it- well almost. If I could do anything over again it would be the detailing on the forehead. I am going to blame my paintbrush on that one I just needed a better brush. It's so crazy to me how important having good brushes can be. Katelyn is wonderful. I love how her camera connects with the camera. It's almost as though the viewer is peering into her soul, a rare fleeting moment captured. I especially love the vulnerability that is present as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment